Saturday, November 28, 2009

Knitting squares

Years ago I shared a room with a lovely Canadian called Ellen. At the time Oxfam were doing their blanket squares fund raising appeal, getting people to knit blankets to be sent out to the developing world. We sat like a couple of old dears listening to Sleepless in Seatle sound track and drinking tea and knitting our squares from what ever we could find. Unravelling old jumpers even! Our blanket never made it to Oxfam, instead we said we'd share it and passit back and forth over the coming years, we even talked of wrapping our babies in it. Ellen still has it in Canada (I hope) and we've never managed to exchange it.

My litle girl - also called Ellen started knitting the other day - taught by her granny. Which suddenly inspired me to start knitting blanket squares again. This time I will make it much more tasteful (no garish wool from unravelled jumpers!). I will go around the charity shops to see what nice wool I can pick up. I'm really looking forward to having a little project and something to lure me away from the darn computer! I will post some pictures when its more than just a few rows!

Jo - Exeter UK

1 comment:

  1. You'll be a knitting addict before long and then they'll be crocheting!

    ReplyDelete